University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship 2022 -2023
The University will not be offering the International Excellence Scholarship to students commencing their studies online in 2021. All new international students who wish to commence their studies online in 2021 will automatically be awarded a 20% discount on their tuition fees in 2021 and will receive a travel grant once they transfer to New Zealand for face-to-face studies once the borders reopen.
The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship was established in 2015 to promote educational opportunities, foster internationalisation and support talented international applicants who are enrolling as new students into undergraduate or postgraduate programmes1 at the University of Waikato. The Scholarships have a value of up to NZD$10,000, and will be awarded to applicants who demonstrate excellent academic achievement. Successful applicants may also be called upon to become global ambassadors for the University of Waikato.
The Scholarship will be applied to tuition fees only and is not transferrable.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be applying to enroll in an undergraduate or postgraduate programme1, as a new international student to the University of Waikato;
- have received a conditional or unconditional offer of place from the University of Waikato;
- have a minimum GPA-equivalency of B+.
- not currently be enrolled at the University of Waikato (including the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English, the Certificate of Attainment in Foundation Studies, the International Diploma of Business or Computer Science; Diploma of Postgraduate Preparation – Pre-Masters or any other pre-degree pathway programme);
- not have paid fees at the time of application;
- not be classified as a domestic student, (see clause 6.3.);
- have met the University of Waikato’s English language requirements for admission, or have an offer for the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English at the University of Waikato, prior to beginning any studies through UOW;
- in the year of tenure, be commencing a full-time programme/s of study with a total duration of at least 12 months at the University of Waikato;
- be residing in New Zealand for the tenure of the scholarship and studying full-time on campus;
- not be coming to the University of Waikato via a sponsoring body2;
- not be coming to the University of Waikato on a Guaranteed Credit Arrangement3,or through a study abroad or student exchange agreement;
The Scholarship will have a value up to NZD$10,000 and will be applied directly to the recipient’s tuition fees for their chosen programme/s of study either at the time of enrolment or once their enrolment is completed. The amount offered for this Scholarship is at the discretion of the Selection Committee and will be based on criteria such as, but not limited to, total available funding, grades, financial need, number of credits enrolled, number of applicants, period of enrolment and chosen degree programme.
- Applications for the Scholarship can be submitted at any time.
- Decisions will normally be made within 8 weeks of the time of application. However, some decisions will take up to 12 weeks (e.g., when the University closes in late December).
- Applicants must be intending to enrol on the date outlined in their Offer of Place.
- Applicants must upload the following as part of their online application:
- their conditional or unconditional offer of place from the University of Waikato; and
- a personal statement that sets out the following (on the template):
- In 100 words or less tell us why you want to study at the University of Waikato?
- In 100 words or less tell us how you will be a global ambassador for the University of Waikato?
Selection Process and Panel
Scholarships will be offered on the basis of academic merit (equivalent B+ minimum) and potential to become global ambassadors for the University of Waikato.
Applications will be ranked and recommended according to their Grade Point Average by the University’s International Regional Managers and forwarded to the Selection Panel for consideration.
- The Selection Panel will comprise the Chair of the Scholarships Committee and the Director – International (or their nominees).
- The Selection Panel’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into following each selection meeting.
Awarding, Tenure and Deferral
Applicants will be advised of the result of their application through their MyWaikato portal.
Successful applicants will receive a scholarship offer which is valid for 14 days. Students must confirm their acceptance of the Scholarship by the date requested in the offer or the offer will automatically lapse and no longer be valid.
After accepting the Scholarship Offer, recipients will receive an official Scholarship Offer Letter to assist in any student visa application.
Students may pay the full tuition fee amount minus the value of the scholarship in the offer. They must provide their Scholarship Offer Letter to Immigration New Zealand in order to do so.
The tenure is one year and the Scholarship is valid only within 12 months of the dates outlined in the Offer of Place, unless deferral is approved as outlined.
- If for any reason a recipient is unable to complete enrolment and begin study at University of Waikato within the same calendar year, they may request a deferral of their scholarship by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Approval is at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, and deferrals will be considered only when:
- the Offer of the Scholarship was accepted within the required time-frame; and
- the deferral is requested within the same calendar year for which the Scholarship was offered; and
- the deferral is requested for situations outside the control of the scholarship recipient (e.g., medical, bereavement, visa approval).
- A request to defer may also be approved if a recipient is required by the University to undertake additional study in the Pathways College in order to meet the requirements of the academic program. Applicants will need to advise email@example.com if deferral is required by the University, and provide the documentation outlining the additional study requirements.